Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Eyeshadow in Taupe-Is This the Taupe of All Taupes?

I know for many of you makeup junkies out there, you have an obsession with taupes.  So do I!  But like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, I find that many of the taupes I have tried just don't work right: too brown, too gray, too dark, too light, too warm, too cool.  You know what I mean. 

Why taupe eyeshadow?  Well, taupe is important because in the photography, film, and television; it gives the eye some depth without looking made up.  It is the color that makeup artists reach for when they want that no makeup makeup look-the very natural look.  If you ever watch the Showtime show The Tudors, the makeup is so natural and beautiful at the same time.  Can't really do that smoky eye look unless you were some drunken pub hoor! :p 

How does taupe work?  Take for example, red.  Red appears red because it absorbs all colors except what is being reflected which is red.  Taupe is the color that has the perfect combination to absorb some light and enough to reflect to make it look like natural skin color under a flash or movie/tv lights. 

Where does Jane Iredale Taupe fit into all this?  Like I mentioned the taupes I have tried just wasn't the right combination that would look natural on my skin.  This one is just right for me because it isn't too warm, too gray, too dark, or too light.  It isn't cool enough to look like a deathly taupe and it isn't a fashionable one that has to be dressed up by wild eye lining.  This one just looks naturally like a soft contour on my eye.

Here the pictures show the color in the pan, on paper, and on skin.  In the pan it looks boring, I admit, but when you are looking for natural you aren't looking for the brightest yellow eyeshadow unless your skin tone is naturally that color!  See how it looks like a boring gray brown?  That is a nice taupe (to me).  On paper the color can look grey and almost ashy but it does have that brown and just enough warmth to keep it from going in that direction.  On the skin you see the difference between the color and my skin.  The color creates some depth without looking too dark.

Jane Iredale taupe eyeshadow

Now on the eyes.  Here I applied it on the orbital ridge (outlined in red in the second picture).  Yes, it looks like my natural skin tone because of the flash which absorbs enough of the color yet reflects to leave it looking like my skin.  That is what taupe is supposed to do (for me)!


Texture wise, this is a finely milled eyeshadow that is made for the most sensitive skins including post-surgery ones.  Pigment wise, it is one that does not oxidize (on me).  Cost wise, at $17.50 it is more than the average eyeshadow but if it is a color that works, it is worth every amount spent. 

If you think you have tried all taupes well try another one because this one is just that normal skin tone taupe for porcelain to medium skin tones that can be worn all year round, day or night, young or old, today or next year because it is one color that needs no style but a place in ones stash!

Ingredients: Mica, boron nitride, dimethicone, pine bark extract, pomegranate extract.  May Contain:  Titanium dioxide, iron oxides, carmine, manganese violet, ultramarines, chromium oxide greens.

Stats Lifestyle Blogs
best blogs

 

My Other Blogs

Who Am I?

I am Olivia, writer of two beauty blogs with a cult following The Unknown Beauty Blog and Into the Palette. I am a B-List Beauty Blogger with a strong addiction to television!

View My Stats
Lifestyle Blogs
best blogs