Tuesday, May 31, 2011

, , , ,   |  

Bamboo Isn't Just For Pandas-ALTERNA Bamboo Haircare

courtesy of rita petita's Flickr
(check out Rita Petita's Flickr pix here)
I don't do many haircare reviews because I basically can abuse my hair to no end.  Have I damaged my hair before?  Yes, it became gummy and gross and I had to have it cut to about ½ inch in length.  But that was back in the 1980's and anything done drastically was like totally awesome!

pictures courtesy of sephora.com
Now, I don't damage my hair to that extent but I am masochistic when it comes to coloring.  If I let my roots go too long, how I yearn for that peroxide burn.  Nothing brings me more joy and pain than newly colored hair.  And, as you know, I don't go for the simple one-step color, I go for the triple process posted here.  The color is a bit different now, less red which I prefer and more golden.

In the first picture, I have my hair in a hair clip which explains why in the second picture it looks all ragged.  Notice that the hair is longer, I had a shag cut or if you prefer to call it a she mullet.  Not she Billy-Ray-Cyrus-mullet but the French pronunciation: she MOOHL-lay!  In the third pic it is cut into a shaggy bob and looks strawlike.  I just call it my scarecrow cut but the shaggy bob sounds better.  The fourth picture is washing the hair with Alterna Bamboo Luminous Shine Shampoo ($20USD), Alterna Bamboo Luminous Conditioner ($20USD), Alterna Bamboo Silk Sleek Brilliance Cream ($22USD), and blow-dried.  After blowdrying, my hair resembles a big puff of cotton. If you saw me walking down the street, I basically resemble a Q-Tip. Before adding more styling product to finish the look, let me just give you a review of the products.


The products I used came from a bag of Sephora haircare samples using the code: MYHAIR.  In it are various brands to try and Alterna was the first brand I grabbed.  After all, I eat bamboo like a panda,  why not use it in my hair?
ALTERNA Bamboo Haircare products
The Alterna Bamboo Luminous Shampoo is a slightly thick and clear shampoo.  It has a light scent that I can't put my finger on because I am not good with scents but isn't a cloying scent that would attract bees which I am grateful.  It lathers easily and a little goes a long way.  Lightweight and non-slick or slippery, it cleanses the hair without making the scalp and hair feel dry.  It seems to add that bit of smoothness to the cuticle (of the hair) without adding weight.  Nice shampoo.

The Alterna Bamboo Luminous Conditioner looks thick which it is but it, like the shampoo, doesn't weigh down the hair.  It detangles the hair easily which makes combing my hair a breeze.  Usually, I would finish with this step which is sufficient enough because it leaves a nice smooth and tame finish to the hair.  No flyways.  However, since I am trying all the products, onto the next product.

The Alterna Bamboo Silk Sleek Brilliance Cream is what I consider to be a primer for the hair.  When your hair is wet and you want to style it after it dries, you need a product which allows others to stick to it when it is dry; or else you'll be piling on product weighing the style down.  This cream is perfect because when applied onto wet hair and blow-dried, it gives it volume and texture for other products.  Nothing really sticky or heavy, just like your own hair but better.

Finally, the end result.  I used some lightweight pomade mixed with argan oil to give me some of that piecey smoothness.  I guess it looks nice, right?  I think a glam scarecrow look will be in this summer! :-)
All you get is the back of my head!

Shampoo Ingredients:  Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Bambusa Vulgaris Water, Glycerin, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Extract, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Oil, Phyllanthus Emblica Extract, Wasabia Japonica Root Extract, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Seed Extract, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Phenoxyethanol, PEG-90 Glyceryl Isostearate, PEG-15 Soyamine/IPDI Copolymer Dimer , ilinoleate (Proposed), Acrylates/Vinyl Neodecanoate Crosspolymer, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Quaternium-95, Laureth-2, Polyquaternium-7, Amodimethicone, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool Hydrogenated Castor Oil/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Propanediol, Limonene, C11-15 Pareth-7 Geraniol, Laureth-9, Citronellol, Polysilicone-15, Methylisothiazolinone, Trideceth-12, Phospholipids Superoxide Dismutase, Polyquaternium-10, Silanetriol Melaninate, Bromelain, Papain, Retinyl Palmitate, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces/Lysate Ferment, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Lactoferrin, Corn Oligosaccharides, Acetyl Methionine, Acetyl Serine, Amino Acyl tRNA Synthetase, Copper Lysl Oxidase, Fragrance (Parfum).


Conditioner Ingredients:  Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Fragrance (Parfum), Glycerin, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Bambusa Vulgaris Water, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Extract, Wasabia Japonica Root Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Phyllanthus Emblica Extract, Algae Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Peroxidase, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Ganoderma Lucidum (Mushroom) Tyrosinase, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Seed Extract, Hydrogenated Castor Oil/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Dihydroxypropyl PEG-5 Linoleammonium Chloride, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol,Dimethiconol,Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Cyclohexasiloxane, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Amodimethicone, Polysilicone-15, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Citric Acid,C11-15 Pareth-7, Phospholipids, Limonene, Geraniol, Laureth-9, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Trideceth-12, Citronellol, Disodium EDTA, Methylisothiazolinone, Superoxide Dismutase, Polyquaternium-10, Saccharomyces/Lysate Ferment, Silanetriol Melaninate, Bromelain, Papain, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Lactoferrin, Corn Oligosaccharides, Phytosphingosine, Acetyl Methionine, Acetyl Serine, Amino Acyl tRNA Synthetase, Copper Lysl Oxidase, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Lentinus Edodes Tyrosinase, Retinyl Palmitate.

Brilliance Cream Ingredients:
  Water (Aqua), Cyclopentasiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dimethicone, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Dimethiconol, Polyacrylamide, VP/VA Copolymer, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Oil, Phyllanthus Emblica Extract Wasabia Japonica Root Extract, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Seed Extract, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Mica (CI 77019), Laureth-7, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Limonene, Geraniol, Methylisothiazolinone, Citronellol, Glycolic Acid, Glycerin, Superoxide Dismutase, Hydrogenated Castor Oil/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Polysilicone-15, Quaternium-95, Phospholipids, Propanediol, Polyquaternium-10, Silanetriol Melaninate Bromelain, Papain, Retinyl Palmitate, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces/Lysate Ferment Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Lactoferrin, Corn Oligosaccharides, Acetyl Methionine, Acetyl Serine Amino Acyl tRNA Synthetase, Copper Lysl Oxidase, Fragrance (Parfum).





Stats Lifestyle Blogs
best blogs