Inglot Matte Collection AMC Eyeliner Gel-Are they worth the hype?

Let's face it, when blogs and makeup artist start praising a product you have to believe it will blow your expectations out like a cannonball.  But what happens when that cannonball soars then drops short of its mark?  You begin to analyze why all the praises and what you are doing wrong.



I bought three of Inglot's Matte Collection AMC Eyeliner Gel ($12USD):  90-dark brown; 89-ashy brown (undertone of mauve); and 86-green. 


Sticking my finger in the container, I expected a texture of the usual gel eyeliner feel of the other liners from other brands.  This one is different, at first, I couldn't place the feeling but what came to mind was an eraser.  It has a rubbery texture, I guess you could say it feels like a latex product more than a cream gel one.

Leaving my thoughts on the texture aside, I started applying the product on my hand to swatch.  This is where the product didn't match my expectations.  The texture is tacky and it also almost dries immediately upon application.  I dipped my finger again to finish the swatch and found it did feel like an eraser onto paper; there is traction upon reapplication because the previous application has dried already.  After I finally got a decent swatch of color, I noticed flaking like those eraser flakes.

Okay, so my hand is different from my eyes and I admit I did not prep the hand like I would do my eye area.  I prepped my lid the way I usually do with a concealer/eyeshadow base product, then applied some powder eyeshadow to my eyes.  The Inglot eyeliner gel applied easier.  However, there is still some traction. 

So let me weigh the Pros and Cons of this product.

PROS
  • Highly pigmented-the color you see in the jar is what you get.
  • Waterproof and long lasting-The color can last all day and work on the waterline.
  •  Price is fair-$12 USD for a nice sized eyeliner (5.5g/0.19oz) isn't bad.
  • Can be used as an eyeshadow.
  • Great for the solid eyeliner look.
  • Goes on smooth when eyes are properly prepped.

CONS
  • Dries very quickly-Impossible to smudge the eyeliner a bit for a soft smoky effect. 
  • There is an application technique to this one.  You shouldn't use intermittent strokes with this one; you know how you draw a line but stop a bit to steady your hand and continue the line.  If you stop or wait too long to continue the line, like I mentioned before there is some traction or friction which can cause flaking of the previously applied product. 
  • I mentioned in the "Pros" section it can be used as an eyeshadow.  Yes, it can but the result will have to be a block of solid color since I mentioned it is hard to smudge and spread.  Don't expect to work this like a MAC Paint Pot.
  • Mistakes can be made.  I once got a bit of the eyeliner above my lash line and tried to remove it.  You know you take a dry q-tip to smudge it away, the mistake wouldn't budge.  I had to remove it with eye makeup remover which took a slight rubbing and in turn took off my eye makeup.
  • Can flake-Even when your eyes are properly prepped, it can still flake.  If you where this on the waterline and wear contacts, be aware the flakes can get in between.
  • Has to be used on properly prepped skin.  Some people I know like to use eyeliner on bare skin.  This product will stick and dry to the skin immediately, reapplication can cause skipping and gaps.
Left: 90 & 86 matte eyeliners; Right: 89 matte eyeliner (Excuse the awful eye look!)
So are they worth the hype?  Only if you are willing to work with them and accept their texture.  Sure, you can smudge them by mixing; add a primer or mixing medium and find the right texture that suits this need.  Possible and they still have the great high pigment coloration.  Or maybe you like that solid line look and can apply a liner in one stroke.  This stuff is excellent.  If you aren't into doing any of these, then stick with the gel liners you have.  After all, something that you are used to is always easier to do in the morning than with something you don't know anything about.

Ingredients:  Trimethylsiloxysilicate, isododecane cyclopentasiloxane, polyethylene, phenyl trimethicone, disteardimonium hectorite propylene carbonate, caprylyl glycol, phenoxyethanol, hexylene glycol.  May contain:  boron nitride, lauroyl lysine, polyperfluoropolymethylisopropylether, yellow 5 lake, blue 1 lake, carmine, ultramarines, black 2, chromium hydroxide green, iron oxides, ferric ammonium ferrocyanide, manganese violet, titanium dioxide.


Stats Lifestyle Blogs
best blogs

 

My Other Blog

Give This Blog a Shout Out

Support this 5 year old independent blog, The Unknown Beauty Blog by giving it proper credit and a link back! Not only will it make me happy, it will make for better blogging/vlogging etiquette. Remember, there are search engines and other people on the internet besides you!

Subscribe by Email


View My Stats
Lifestyle Blogs
best blogs