Monday, January 28, 2013

, , , , , , , , ,   |  

Look, What Came in My January Starbox



This is my second shipment of Starbox.  I started last month when they offered a full size 15 color eyeshadow palette.  You can read my review of it here.  This month turns out purely to be a surprised since there weren't many hints as to what was to be in the box. I subscribe to Starbox because it is one of the monthly subscription beauty boxes that deals only with makeup.  And as a makeup addict, a monthly payment of $15 + 1.98 for shipping within the U.S. is a very good price (higher for international) for some monthly makeup trinkets. 


This month is an interesting mix that left me with no solid impression upon opening.  Well, that isn't actually true; my stomach growled when I saw the box.  I suddenly became hungry for some key lime pie


This month's box turned out to be a retail value of $63.  Inside the box was the following:


A piece of quartz crystal which supposedly has metaphysical properties power, energy, and clarity.  I actually hoped for some special privileges in time travel or to mess with the space time continuum but no.


858 Soft Small Dome Fluff ($15)-Good for smoking out colors on the lid, applying a line in the crease, or a precision application of a brow bone highlighter.


Diamondline Eye Pencil in Fancy ($8)-a shimmery and sparkly lime green.

Eye Pencil in Brown ($8)-the normal ubiquitous brown pencil.


Cuty Peach Powder Blush ($12)-a softly shimmered cream peach, perfect color to transition from winter to spring.


Lastly, a bracelet representing the Pantone emerald color.  The bracelet is made out of plastic beads but it represents the design of Abby Rose Designs on Etsy whose handmade jewelry is made of actual metal and glass beads. 


What is my overall impression of this month's box?  The products aren't bad.  They are full size.  The pencils, although they are not the long-lasting formula are good quality.  They are the pigmented but the smudgy type which may not be favorable for some people.  Me, I am a pencil addict and a smudgy pencil is a nice item to have when layering shadows on top.  However, instead of the usual brown, I would have preferred a different neutral like a taupe.  I have many brown pencils and not many taupe ones.

The blush is a powder with a smooth quality to it, nothing chalky or dry.  Like I said, it is the perfect transitional blush color, not too bright yet not too neutral and bland.

The brush is good and well shaped.  Usage will depend on the person, it might not be the everyday useful shape for every eye.

The bracelet even though it is plastic, it's a nice trinket.  I actually gave it a friend's tween daughter who just loved it.

All in all the box wasn't bad but at the same time I can't say it truly captured my attention.  I give it a rating of 3 eyes*.

*For more about my rating system, read here.