[name=Olivia J] [description=I am not your average beauty blogger. Blogging since 2009. Editor of The Unknown Beauty Blog -- Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and Plagiarized by the Idiots!] [img=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lQjJcRIw170/V1OXLv8leSI/AAAAAAAAeLE/6w7gg1uTmFEATqiSoBsIJ8_FH45ZUM84QCCo/s500/Olivia%25252520Denim.jpg]

404

We Are Sorry, Page Not Found

Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found.

Home Page

Am I an Alien? No, I am Asian!

*Post originally written by Olivia J on The Unknown Beauty Blog. If you read this post elsewhere, it has been stolen.*


I know I have covered the subject on Asian eyes many times, in fact if you search this blog there are some detailed explanations on the anatomy of them.  But all that anatomy is pretty much useless when one feels alienated from the beauty world.  At least I did when I was a tween/teenager.

Growing up I would look at the fashion and beauty magazines and thought how beautiful these models were, but I rarely if not ever saw an Asian type of model represented.  This made me think I was inferior or for that matter ugly.

I remember one time when a friend and I planned a day at the mall at scheduled a makeover at one of the cosmetic counters.  I really couldn't sleep the night before because I was so excited to get my makeup done, especially my eyes. 

As soon as me and my friend got to the counter, the lady saw me and said they were overbooked and could only take my friend.  I hid my disappointment and smiled and watched as my friend got her makeover.  Then a lady walked to the counter and asked if she could have a makeover, the other sales assistant said they had openings.  That's when I felt so ugly. 

Honestly, that moment stayed with me for a long time.  My mother said the usual, "You are beautiful and you don't need that makeup."  Yeah, that is what mothers do.  They try to make you feel better, but I took my non-makeover as a major rejection.  As I grew up, I rarely ever signed up for a makeover.  That one memory was enough.  I just played with make up hoping it would look good.  Then someone commented what gorgeous eyes I had and this was in all places in Japan!  The cosmetic counter sales assistant asked me if I were a makeup artist and when she found out I wasn't, she was shocked. 

That was the moment I realized the lady from my cancelled makeover did not know how to do my eyes.

Those memories were during my youth, a time when if I didn't look like everyone else, I must be some kind of alien.  I often thought I was or I thought maybe my eyes were deformed.  I grew up emotionally.

Nowadays, there is the internet and I can imagine there are many tutorials on Asian eyes which is great and wonderful.  But, I can also imagine that one Asian eye differs from another and to generally state, "put this color here and this color on the crease"  doesn't quite work at times.


Susan's beautiful monolid eyes!!!

I am not saying I am an expert by any means but when I get a volunteer, especially Asian monolid eyes.  I will try to give a look from a different perspective.  I would like to thank Susan for volunteering, you have beautiful eyes and you should embrace them!! 

Check out the tutorial: Asian Monolid Eye Tutorial


xoxo,

Olivia


Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and plagiarized by the idiots!
Google+ Linked In Pin It
The Unknown Beauty Blog™ © |    Blog   |   About   |   Contact