[name=Olivia J] [description=I am not your average beauty blogger. Blogging since 2009. Editor of The Unknown Beauty Blog -- Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and Plagiarized by the Idiots!] [img=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lQjJcRIw170/V1OXLv8leSI/AAAAAAAAeLE/6w7gg1uTmFEATqiSoBsIJ8_FH45ZUM84QCCo/s500/Olivia%25252520Denim.jpg]

404

We Are Sorry, Page Not Found

Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found.

Home Page

Toys of the Past - What I Grew Up With

*Post originally written by Olivia J on The Unknown Beauty Blog.*
*Nothing to disclose.*

I know this is The Unknown Beauty Blog otherwise also known as TUBB.  (Yes, just like the monthly parallel universe subscription beauty box.  Pretty clever!)  But beauty products alone didn't shape the memories in my brain, it was the strangeness of the toys in my childhood that brought me to this point in life!  Think about a time when almost everyone probably enjoyed one too many puffs from a doobie, especially  the creators of toys.  One such that toy stands out like a horror movie is Incredible Edibles.

I really don't know how I acquired the Incredible Edibles in my childhood.  This toy created by Mattel was to provide hours of fun and eating by creating candy in the form of bugs, fruits, and whatever else the toy makers thought was far out. 

This is what the toy looked like.  Very special thanks to Sam for his permission to use his pictures for this post.  Check out his website Sam's Toybox and see what memories will unhinge in your brain.


These flavor packets were awful!  If I remember, it was jelly-like substance which would be poured into these molds.


I remember pouring the various flavors of Gobble-Degoop (cherry, mint, cinnamon, licorice, root beer, and butterscotch).  I can tell you that I rarely used the bug molds because I thought it was totally disgusting!  Add to that the awful jelly-like goop that tasted like flavored plastic.  I don't know how or why I ever ate any of the stuff.  (Okay, I was hungry.)  I remember finishing the mint, cinnamon, and root beer packets first.  Then, in time I finished the cherry and butterscotch.  Yeah, I wasn't a licorice fan and that was the only packet that I left pretty much untouched.

Anyway, after pouring that goop into the molds, I would carefully lift the lid by grabbing the nose and placed the mold into the center of the oven with the given tongs and would wait (im)patiently for the jelly to bake and set.  If you notice, the toy is made out of steel and back then, protecting the well-being or safety of a child was really unimportant.  Yes, I did burn myself a couple of times and screamed bloody murder!

Mattel obviously had some royal highness hashish stashed away as they created this toy because it resembled another memory of my youth, a television show from the great Sid and Marty Krofft, H.R. Pufnstuf.  Ahhh, what memories!



Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and plagiarized by the idiots!
Google+ Linked In Pin It
The Unknown Beauty Blog™ © |    Blog   |   About   |   Contact