[name=Olivia J] [description=I am not your average beauty blogger. Blogging since 2009. Editor of The Unknown Beauty Blog -- Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and Plagiarized by the Idiots!] [img=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lQjJcRIw170/V1OXLv8leSI/AAAAAAAAeLE/6w7gg1uTmFEATqiSoBsIJ8_FH45ZUM84QCCo/s500/Olivia%25252520Denim.jpg]

404

We Are Sorry, Page Not Found

Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found.

Home Page

If I Hire a Makeup Artist, What Do I Expect?

*Post originally written by Olivia J on The Unknown Beauty Blog. If you see this post elsewhere, it has been stolen.**Just blurting out my opinion.*


This post may sound bitchy but look at it this way, if I am hiring you as someone to make up my face for some event or photo shoot; I have the right to judge you.  I am paying for your services--your pro services.  These are my opinions, I don't mean to start a war.

Nowadays, anyone who has a blog and/or YouTube channel and applies makeup can call themselves a makeup artist.  Don't get me wrong, there are legitimate makeup artists out there with both a blog/video channel.  I am talking about the ones who apply only makeup onto themselves and end up saying they are an artist and would like to be hired as one.  I apply makeup onto my face but I don't call myself a makeup artist.  I am equivalent to a Q-Tip, I am just a makeup applicator.

To me a makeup artist can apply makeup onto many faces of many skin tones, of any shape, any age.  He/she will not generalize makeup application but personalize it instead.  For example, every face shape is different and to generalize a highlighting technique is really just similar to wearing a shirt that says, "one size fits all".  Every face is different and, therefore, should be highlighted for maximum beauty.

Before I hire a makeup artist, I would request to see their kit.  I would check to see if everything is organized and clean.

What I don't want to see is one of these palettes


I was a teenager once and I can tell you if I had a palette like this I would have been thrilled.  You are not a teen anymore, you are trying to break into a serious field.  I paid money for your service and to think you would pull out some cheap palette tells me you are more of a makeup junkie.  Look, I understand wanting to have a collection of colors but you really should understand the theory of color more.  These palettes are for play.  The palette is not professional looking and not pigmented enough to look good on every skin type.  Also, it will look like crap on mature skin.

 *picture from StudioFX.ca

If you want to be considered a makeup artist and have a small budget, buy a Ben Nye palette instead.  Ben Nye is pro and high quality but at a great budget conscious price.  The line works on every skin type and every age.  In fact, if you stocked your entire kit with Ben Nye because of budget restrictions, I would be highly impressed. This would tell me you are serious about your job.


You Carry More Colorful Makeup than Neutrals
 
Color stuff catches the eye and are fun to play with, unless you are constantly working as some artistic makeup artist; you need neutrals.  Color, especially eyeshadow should be a small percentage of your collection.  Neutrals and knowing how to apply them to enhance a person's beauty tells me you know what you are doing.  The hardest look for any makeup artist is the natural beauty look.


You Only Apply Makeup on Young People

Okay, for me young means below the age of 35.  Young skin is still taut, the eyes are perky, the face shape is pretty much intact.  An easy canvas to work on compared to a mature woman of age 70.  If you are a makeup artist, people will pay you to apply makeup on their grandmothers.  If you can't cope with the skin type of that age, then you shouldn't be hired.  One more thing, if you tell my mother to get Botox or Juvederm for better makeup application, you're FIRED!


Keep Loose Pigments Loose

This may be controversial because I know some makeup artists will press their pigments making them easier to carry around.  I only say keep them loose because if you use a self-pressed pigment and I get a reaction of some kind; it is called a lawsuit.  What did you mix it with to make it into a solid shadow?  Were you in sterile conditions when you made that eyeshadow solid?  If you watch YouTube, people mix weird things to make a loose shadow solid.  A hair product may work as a mixing medium, but if my eye swells as big as a water balloon you better get a lawyer!


Clean Brushes--PLEASE!!

*picture from drugstore.com

I have seen makeup artists with dirty brushes.  Look, it is not your vanity table.  I am your client and I want you to use a clean set of brushes for my face.  This means don't use the same lip brush on me then use it on my friend.  Yes, you need duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates and more especially if working on more than one client.  If you can't afford duplicates, spritz them with isopropyl alcohol and wipe the residue off on a clean towel.  And, by alcohol I mean the rubbing alcohol not vodka.  Alcohol can be found in any grocery store to drugstore from 70% to 99% strength and it is cheaper than vodka! Also, after a completed job, wash your makeup brushes to have them nice and clean for the next job.


Label Your Bottles

I don't want to find out that you just removed my eye makeup with nail polish remover just because you didn't label your bottles!


Don't Share Mascara

If you are applying mascara, either have a separate mascara for each client and give it to client at the end or if using the same tube, use a disposable applicator.  Remember, not to double dip!  I don't want pink eye!


Don't Lick Your Brush

I have seen this on tv!  If you are going to turn eyeshadow into eyeliner, don't use your spit to make it!  I don't want your pesto scampi on my lashline!  EWWWWW!


Have Good Hygiene

Please, smell nice and clean.  I don't want to smell the local bar on you! 

Do I sound harsh? If you are serious about becoming a makeup artist, you are in a very competitive business.  You would be lucky to work 10 years with just the education of "I learned things on YouTube".  Yes, there are self-taught and gifted people out there who know their makeup stuff very well and are respected in the makeup community.  For others, if you want to stay in the business, your skills have to evolve and grow.  To have makeup artistry as your life long career, I would say know your stuff, act professional, understand everyone grows old and understand there are many others behind you wanting your job.  If you are good, people will know!

Anything else you might want to add? Comment below.



Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and plagiarized by the idiots!
Google+ Linked In Pin It
The Unknown Beauty Blog™ © |    Blog   |   About   |   Contact