[name=Olivia J] [description=I am not your average beauty blogger. Blogging since 2009. Editor of The Unknown Beauty Blog -- Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and Plagiarized by the Idiots!] [img=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lQjJcRIw170/V1OXLv8leSI/AAAAAAAAeLE/6w7gg1uTmFEATqiSoBsIJ8_FH45ZUM84QCCo/s500/Olivia%25252520Denim.jpg]

404

We Are Sorry, Page Not Found

Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found.

Home Page

Dye Your Hair Without Killing It - DIY DYE Book Review

*Post originally written by Olivia J on The Unknown Beauty Blog.*
*Received for review*



When I was 5 years old, I went to see 101 Dalmations in the movie theater.  I honestly wasn't excited to see it since it was a cartoon. (Yes, I am talking the animated version and I am that old!)  I guess I was just as cynical as a child as I am as an adult.  However, I did leave with one major memory and that was Cruella DeVil!

Ever since that day, I wanted to color my hair like her.  I knew my mother wouldn't let me for I was only 5.  Then, came the second grade when a friend of mine dyed her blonde hair green with food coloring in honor of St. Patrick's day for school.  I was TOTALLY JEALOUS! 

Fast forward to the 80's! Ha, I was a teen and I could color my hair!  After all, a teenager is allowed to rebel.  Actually, it was the late 70's when I first colored my hair and I haven't seen my natural hair color ever since!

My journey with hair coloring has been an adventure due to me and my friends not really knowing what was right or wrong.  In fact, when my friend read in a magazine that so-and-so singer used hair paint spray for her music video; my friend ended up using spray paint on her hair!  She read the article wrong!  Yeah, she ruined her hair!

This is why I wished I had a book like this:


DIY Dye - Bright and Funky Temporary Hair Coloring You Do at Home ($14.95 USD)  by Loren Lankford. (Also available at Amazon here in Kindle edition and hardcover)

The book is written by Loren Lankford who is a freelance writer and has worked for various magazines such as CosmoGIRL!, Cosmopolitan, Entertainment Weekly, and Jane.  She is also a producer and owns an etsy shop called Southern Dropout.  And, she also still colors her hair!


The first time I opened the book and read the table of contents, I really wished I had this when I was a teen! ( I know I am repeating myself.)  All the memories flooded back on the many incorrect methods I used to color my hair and not to mention the mess I made.

The book explains to you in regular human talking language about preparation of hair coloring and all the different hair coloring techniques from double-process (bleach) hair coloring to chalking.  Nowhere, does Loren ever over step the professional colorist.  In fact, she suggests to go to one especially if you have treated your hair chemically and want to properly double-process (bleach) it. It also contains various coloring recipes to color hair which are just as good as the hair coloring products sold on shelves! 


All these hair coloring tips and tricks are shown with many photos which easily explain how it is all done: even if you have never, ever colored your hair.  (I really, really, really, wished I had this book when I was a teen!) Yes, there are photos on how to ombre and how to create the rainbow look.

Although, the book doesn't cover the really advanced methods of color blocking and in-depth explanation of color theory.  The book is good enough for the beginner or anyone who wants to walk the bright rainbow road of hair coloring.

If you know someone or maybe, you know a teen just begging to color their hair. Before, they do this on their own, get them this book as a gift and guide.  The pages will become stained with hair color as it is read and carefully studied for each technique offered. Not only will it be a great book but it will turn out to carry great memories in their lives!

And to Loren, you have done and written a book which many will need.  I expect this book to be the gateway to hair coloring addiction!

I, myself couldn't review this book without some inspiration.  I went from this:



to Fire Red!

Next time, I am going lilac!


*Received for review*

Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and plagiarized by the idiots!
Google+ Linked In Pin It
The Unknown Beauty Blog™ © |    Blog   |   About   |   Contact