[name=Olivia J] [description=I am not your average beauty blogger. Blogging since 2009. Editor of The Unknown Beauty Blog -- Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and Plagiarized by the Idiots!] [img=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lQjJcRIw170/V1OXLv8leSI/AAAAAAAAeLE/6w7gg1uTmFEATqiSoBsIJ8_FH45ZUM84QCCo/s500/Olivia%25252520Denim.jpg]

404

We Are Sorry, Page Not Found

Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found.

Home Page

Cosmetic Ramblings of a Mink 3D Printer from Dr. Olivia's Makeup Lab

*Post originally written by Olivia J on The Unknown Beauty Blog.*


I am currently holed up in my makeup lab which is the main reason why this blog has no new posts.  My pigpen has not only turned into a pigsty, it has also turned my brain into a dizzying mess of color (or maybe I accidentally inhaled some)!  Then, this got me thinking more about Mink 3D Makeup Printer and thanks to Meli from Wild Beauty, I think the pigments are starting to clear!

You remember the 3D Printer hoopla that occurred last year and the fact that Grace Choi created a makeup printer, one that would press print out your own custom eyeshadow color.  What a fantastic idea?  I want one! So, I thought.


It turns out after all the attention Grace received, she had many investors come forward to market the machine and her idea.  Unhappy with many of the venture capitalists visions, she has parted ways with them as you can read here.  Instead, she has shown how to create the makeup printer with a $70 HP Printer.

*original article written by Alison Shontell*

Here's what you'll need: 
  • A home printer (Choi recommends an HP 6100 which retails for $70) 
  • A tool like Photoshop, which can pull a hex color from an image online 
  • Refillable ink cartridges 
  • Ink (edible ink/vegetable based ink because they're FDA approved). Choi adds: "Make sure they're compatible with your government’s regulations! There is a bit of trial and error here with vendors. You can also custom formulate the inks by starting with the compatible raw pigments/dyes." 
  • Some blank/white cosmetics (think BIC White Out for a nail polish base, white powder, or a clear gloss for lipstick) 

*pix from Mink/Vimeo*








And, here is the complete video.  You can also "print" lipsticks and nail polish.


Now, the big question is, would I do this?  No.  For one, I am not a person who will tear apart a printer.  I only willingly depot makeup and that alone, I am not willing to destroy the case.  I also find it easier to buy the pigments to create my own colors and press.  Of course, it isn't some color based on some 6-digit color code and the process of tweaking the color with the mind is a bit more tedious than using photoshop.

Price alone would put me off, I could buy a couple of high end products for the amount I will spend on hacking my printer into a makeup creator, and I won't have the guarantee of it working; I could end up breaking my printer!

This being said, I have great admiration for Grace Choi.  She has an idea, used her brain to try it and showed it to the world for everyone to try.  I hope she shows us more and because ideas open a new road!

As for me, I am stuck in the lab hoping someone would come up with an Easy Bake Oven for makeup so I can bake my eyeshadows with a light bulb!

For the original article please go here.

Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and plagiarized by the idiots!
Google+ Linked In Pin It
The Unknown Beauty Blog™ © |    Blog   |   About   |   Contact