[name=Olivia J] [description=I am not your average beauty blogger. Blogging since 2009. Editor of The Unknown Beauty Blog -- Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and Plagiarized by the Idiots!] [img=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lQjJcRIw170/V1OXLv8leSI/AAAAAAAAeLE/6w7gg1uTmFEATqiSoBsIJ8_FH45ZUM84QCCo/s500/Olivia%25252520Denim.jpg]



404

We Are Sorry, Page Not Found

Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found.

Home Page

The Concealer, Highlighting, and Contouring Brushes


As I mentioned in my foundation brush post, foundation brushes come in many shapes and sizes concealers do too. Concealer brushes are the smaller head version of foundation brushes. Usually they are synthetic since a cream texture is involved. Again, sable brushes are the best animal hair for creams and liquids since they are firm enough to spread and blend with precision.


In the following pictures, I will show what brushes I use for concealing, highlighting, and contour. The brushes may repeat in other posts because they aren't restricted for that application of makeup. I will say this over and over just because a brush is labeled as such, it doesn't mean it has to be used that way. It doesn't know that.

In the picture below from left to right:

  • Make Up ForEver
  • Cinema Secrets (filbert #2)
  • Ve Neill
  • Adesign
  • Da Vinci
  • Sue Devitt
  • Cinema Secrets (filbert #18)
  • Julie Hewett

As you can see most of my brushes are the filbert shape or some people call them "cat tongue" shape (Go get your cat and pull out its tongue a bit and you will see the resemblance!) with the exception of Make Up ForEver which is round. There are also straight flat ones but I don't have a need for those. The first three I can use for concealing; the next two I can use for concealing/highlighting/contouring; last three are bigger so I use them for highlighting/contour. Now, when using any concealer brush it is important to pick the right brush for its concealing purpose. The Make Up ForEver brush which I got in an eyebrow kit to draw on brows is an excellent brush for applying onto blemishes. The pointed tip allows precise application onto the blemish only.


The following pictures show application with a dark color concealer to show up better in pictures. I did it on my arm because it shows how differently each brush applies product. This is also a good way to practice since it is a flat area and you can see what is being done. Most of the time when you apply it on the face, you get so caught up in the hope for the perfect end result that you don't pay much attention to the brushstrokes. Then you end up disappointed with the product when all along it was the application.

The Make Up ForEver brush and the Cinema Secrets (filbert #2) offer precision application. Cinema Secrets is a bit bigger but does the same, the only difference is that it is a filbert style brush. (I also use this brush as an eyeliner which is my absolute favorite!) Sometimes, it is important to apply a product only in a certain area like a blemish. I only show the application with MUFE.


  • Step 1: shows how I dot it on in the certain area. 
  • Step 2: I lightly press the brush into the skin to allow more than the tip to blend the specified area. I don't want to conceal more than needed. If I find I have applied too much, I will blot my brush before I blend.

With Ve Neill's concealer brush, the brush has longer hairs making it more flexible. This brush is the perfect size to apply concealer under the eyes. Also good for applying cream highlighter on the browbones, sides of nose, nasal labial lines, philtrum, cupid's bow, beneath the bottom lip.


  • Step 1: I apply a line or sometimes dot on the concealer then connect the dots. The tip allows me to apply a line thin enough yet wide enough for the areas mentioned. 
  • Step 2: As I use the tip more I spread the concealer from the starting point to where I want to finish by painting fine short strokes. You can see how the brush "feathers" out the concealer. 
  • Step 3: I press lightly to allow the brush to bend more and allow the side to blend the feathered strokes. 
  • Step 4: I continue until I have blended the edges into oblivion.

Cinema Secrets filbert #18 is a brush that I use for contouring major areas like cheekbones, sides of face, temple, forehead, and jawline. The larger size makes it easier to blend these bony areas. (It can also be used to apply cream blush.)


  • Step 1: I apply the cream to the beveled edges of the brush (the tip and a bit of the side). 
  • Step 2: I draw a line with the tip of the brush onto the area that will be contoured. 
  • Step 3 &4: Like a cat's tongue I "lick" the line to spread. 
  • Step 5: You can see the various stages of blending. 
  • Step 6: I didn't blend all of it but you can see that the well blended area leaves no distinct line.

I did mention a flat brush. The flat edge can apply a line and the same edge also buffs (blends) it. I don't use this one because my hand isn't one that uses just the edge to blend. I like to lick to blend. (Keep your mind out of the gutter!)

pic from of Cinema Secrets

There are more concealer brushes out there. That's okay. It gives you more of a choice instead of using that q-tip back in the stone age when I was applying makeup for the first time. You can buy that $3 brush or that $200 brush, but if you don't know how to use it, you might as well throw your money into the fire first. Technique is not something that comes with the brush, it comes from you. Sounds boring, so much more fun and easier to spend money and find something new than to practice, but once you learn; you find new ways of applying what you have!

Read by the Intelligent! Uncredited, copied, and plagiarized by the idiots!
Google+ Linked In Pin It

The Unknown Beauty Blog™ © |    Blog   |   About   |   Contact Me   |   Archives