I have come to the conclusion that K Beauty and even C Beauty lip products haven't caught up with the western lip standards. The Asian brands that have that glossy sheen all have one big flaw.
I bought Ameli Seoul (aka Ameli) and Jung Saem Mool lip products. Both brands are makeup artist created and both are a bit pricey for K Beauty brands. Ameli Narcissism Lip Tint retail for $24 and Jung Saem Mool Lip Pression costs about $26.
Ameli Seoul Narcissism Lip Tint
With the Ameli Seoul lip products, I had been going through the grieving process of Olivia Sr. and I just wanted something to brighten me up. The colors 730 Rare Raretin and 714 Vamptint looked promising. I usually don't wear those lip colors but I wanted to go out of my comfort zone.
- 730 Rare Raretin - This is fuchsia but to me it isn't the usual one or the western beauty brand type. It is that Korean one. You know how each country has a certain color that no other country has? This is that Korean fuchsia. Not quite hot pink, not old-lady fuchsia, just that fuchsia that goes with every skin tone.
- 714 Vamptint - This sounded dark and vampy but it is actually a brick red color. It isn't anywhere close to Chanel Vamp. The brick warmth didn't work for me.
These liptints are thin but go on smoothly. They aren't the staining type so when it is wiped off, there is no color. There is a scent to them. To me it smells like vanilla ice cream! It isn't minty or anything but it smells cold like ice cream. I know this doesn't make sense, but everytime I smell it I envision a scoop of good old vanilla ice cream.
One more thing, even though the cap clicks when you close it, IT LEAKS! I had put these away in a box for awhile and when I went to grab my Vamptint for this post, I thought I had blood on my hands! It had leaked somehow even though it had been stored in a cool and dark place. I wouldn't put these in my purse.
Jung Saem Mool Lip-Pression
I had been trying various lip serums, Ole Henriksen, Rhode, and some others; but I never tried an Asian brand. JSM debuted hers on Amazon at the price of $26 which is about the same price as the western beauty brands. However, when I bought them, there was a coupon, it lowered the price to about $20. The colors I bought were Coco Mocha and Boba Noir.
- Coco Mocha - In my mind I thought it would be more like a light brown or milky brown color. It turned out to be more of a milky nude pink.
- Boba Noir - I was hoping this would be something like a brown plum but it is just a dark plum color which isn't dark on the lips at all.
There is a mint coolness to these. I think JSM likes mint. Her other lip product, a lipstick has the same mint. If you don't like mint, skip her lip products. The tip is stainless steel which also adds to the cool feeling or coldness. Personally, I wasn't thrilled with the stiff tip. It is like applying gloss with a spoon.
The texture is a bit runny for a lip treatment. It is actually like a serum. I will say I regret purchasing these.
The Flaw
I did mention there was a flaw to these products and with many of the Asian beauty lip products I have tried. I am not saying all because I haven't tried them all, but the ones I have tried all have one thing in common: the product migrates into the fine lines of the lips. Eventually, the product finds its way to the edge of the lipline. I found this to happen with one of my favorite Girlcult lip products.
You can see in the picture above my lip lines. I just blotted my lips and this is how deeply the colors go into the lines. And, check out the other pictures of my lips. I purposely blurred the background to see the lips more clearly. The product settles in the lines.
The way to stop this is with a lip liner, lip concealer, lip base or a matte lipcolor. OR you can prep your lips to look like that bunny tongue. You know, the plump lip look. I think this is how the brands formulate their lip products, under the assumption everyone will prep their lips in some way. But how many people actually do this after eating lunch? I know I just grab my gloss out of my purse and apply it straight onto my lips. Even in the mornings, I just apply the product. No prepping.
I hate to say this, Asian brands need to realize not all of us will take the time to prep our lips the proper way. We don't live in a photo shoot. In real life, there are many types from those who will meticulously apply every lip product possible to sketch that perfect lip to those who just apply a simple gloss.
These brands need to create lip products that won't migrate into the lip lines without any additional products. They also have to realize people of all ages including those in their Wise Owl years wear lip products; it isn't just the spring chickens!
Conclusion
I still like Asian brands, especially the C Beauty ones because they have the unusual colors. I am willing to use a matte lip product beneath the gloss. However, I wait for the day when these brands actually make a lip product that will last like their western counterparts and for people of any gender and especially any age!











