Foundation brush shapes have changed in the past decade. This is due to the advancement in synthetic fibers. They also come in different shapes which, I have to admit, entice the consumer including me! No matter, whatever shape the foundation brush is, the most important point is its firmness. The hair (fibers) should be packed. There should be no gaps and looseness above the ferrule. If there is, there isn't enough hair and you can run the risk of scratching your face with the ferrule which I have done with crappy brushes. Make sure you choose wisely. Onto the foundation brushes.
Here, I have three brushes. They are from Makeheal, Wakemake, and Jung Saem Mool. These are all Korean brands (K Beauty). I bought these all from the Olive Young global website. I have no referral link any more because OY kicked out US customers from their global site and rounded us up onto their US based site which hardly has anything.
The following brushes can be found on Olive Young Global and their respective websites. I am citing Olive Young because I am using their GIFs.
Makeheal
This one can be used from powders to liquid foundation including the cushion ones. It is possible for creams but since the hair is longer, the application wouldn't be as packed as a shorter hair one.
This one has a "V" cut on both sides to accomodate the cheek areas and the rounded corners of the face from the side of the nose to the jawline area. The base is firmly packed so only the tips of the fibers would apply the foundation.
You don't have to swirl it around or stipple it in like some brushes on the market.
The result for this type of brush for a liquid foundation would be a soft finish and a bit sheer since the pressure of the hair would be less forceful than the following two brushes. It is still an excellent brush and since it is synthetic, it washes easily and dries quickly.
Wakemake
Wakemake is the house brand of Olive Young.
I think I received this as a bonus for a Wakemake foundation I bought. The brush is similar to a spatula brush but with many rows! It is more of a box-like brush. This one is great for liquids and creams. It is sturdy and firm. It quickly swipes on the foundation in one big sweep. This one is stiff enough for even cream foundations.
I am not sure if this is available anymore. I think only the spatula brush is, there is nothing wrong with that one but I do have alternative suggestions to that type of brush later in this post.
Jung Saem Mool
This is an excellent brush for the beginner and the pro. The hair end is angled which allows the foundation to go into the little spaces like between the nose and the eye area and around the corners of the nose. The other end acts as a spatula, allowing cream products to be scooped out and mixed onto a palette.
There is an angle to this brush but the ferrule never hits the face because it has a firm base and very well packed.
I actually use this for cream blushes. It spreads and blends them so easily. This is the travel size brush which I bought in a set. There is the full size one available too. I just find it easier to use the short handle since my eyesight is that of an old person! I don't hit the mirror with the handle with this size.
The Results
You can see the different results of application with these brushes. A brush will leave its brushstrokes which all brushes do but what makes these foundation brushes different from the ones a decade ago is how quickly foundation can be applied. The flawless part is really a second step and that is done with those rubycell sponges.
I bought The Tool Lab ones. They are pricey, but they are such good quality. The Tool Lab also sells various brushes including foundation brushes similar to the Wakemake, a flat top.
Finishing any foundation with a rubycell sponge results in a smooth application.
This sponge is so easy to use. Your hand won't be cramped like those regular sponges like beauty blender. Those are a pain to hold. These have a strap and you just tap-tap-tap away and you end up with a very smooth finish. The Tool Lab ones are more flexible than the regular rubycell sponges
The Tool Lab also has a brush similar to the Wakemake. It is a flat top and comes in many sizes and handle lengths.
I actually have a concealer brush which is really the baby version of it and included baby sponges.
Now, if you really want to just condense your routine, you can skip the brushes altogether and just tap foundation onto your face with the rubycell sponges. I know many people who have left their foundation brushes behind and just use sponges because there are so many cute ones out there and they are nothing like the sponges of yesterday!
The Tool Lab makes the flatter rubycell sponges and they have several for different skin types and results. If you prefer a thicker one with a more bouncy result with some cuteness, Amortals and Momo's Workshop are two great brands. Momo's Workshop sells the croissant powder puff. If you are in the US or Canada, both of these brands can be found on Yami (referral link). The Tool Lab can be found on Amazon and various other websites.
Hope this post has enticed you into trying some new beauty tools!

















